The Buckhorn Mountain Guest Ranch was built in 1946 by Myron and Louise Siefken in partnership with John and Josephine Smethurst. Using logs cut off of the property, a lodge and twelve cabins were constructed.
Walter and Emily Turle bought the ranch in 1947. The Smethursts managed the ranch for the Turles until 1954 when the ranch was again sold.
Three couples bought the ranch in 1954: Charlie and Marie Evans, Richard and Mary Evans, and William and Frances Roberson.In the fall of 1964 the guest ranch was purchased by the Rocky Mountain Conference of the United Methodist Church. The guest ranch was renamed Buckhorn United Methodist Camp. From 1964 to 1999 Buckhorn was operated as a "summer only" facility with a capacity of 60 persons.
From 2001 through 2005 an effort to increase the youth camp ministry at Buckhorn resulted in an 300% increase in youth camp attendance.
Over the next few years a new camp area named "The Miners Camp" was constructed using volunteer labor. Phase one of this project was completed in 2005 increasing the total summer capacity of the camp to 250.
Another volunteer based project was completed at the camp in 2005. The new Director's house was built using logs harvested from the property, much like the original construction of Buckhorn Lodge and the Main Cabins was done many years ago. The new house made the acquisition of additional full time staff possible.
History is an ongoing story. It is our hope that Buckhorn United Methodist Camp will always be striving to grow to meet the needs of the churches and greater community, and make a difference in the lives of the people who spend time here.
In 2012, the High Park Fire burned through Buckhorn, charring the landscape and destroying approximately one-third of the camp, including some of its cabins and outbuildings.
In 2020, the Cameron Peak Wildfire once again came dangerously close to Buckhorn, approximately 2 miles to the west of camp and 4 miles to the south. The High Park burn scar provided an additional layer of protection to the camp.